Vegan and corn, dairy, egg, gluten, nut and soy free.
- ¼ cup organic olive oil
- 1 organic red onion, chopped
- 3 organic carrots, diced
- 4 stalks of organic celery, diced
- 1 organic sweet potato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 cups organic kale, chopped
- 1 cup organic Swiss chard, chopped
- 6 cups of water
- 2 14-ounce cans of organic crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups dry lentils
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- A dash of crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place olive oil, onion, carrots, celery and sweet potato in a soup pot on medium heat and sauté until tender.
Once sautéed, add basil, kale and chard and cook until tender.
Add water, crushed tomatoes and lentils.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
Remove cover, add vinegar, crushed red pepper and salt and pepper to taste, stir and serve.
Heating time: 1 hour.
Calories: 470, Carbohydrates: 74 g, Protein: 28 g, Fat: 9 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Fiber: 15 g
Recipe by Lee Cotton, founder and owner of Pilates and Your Palate in Stuart, Fla., Cotton, who has celiac disease, runs the website pilatesandyourpalate.com.