Tuscan Chicken Cannellini Kale Soup
I liken this soup to a blending of Italian Wedding Soup and Minestrone. Flavorful bites of chicken, tender yet firm cannellini beans, and fresh, bright threads of kale make the basic soup. Sorghum adds a bit of “tooth” and interest. For an added punch of brightness, a squeeze of fresh lime will do the trick.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 19-ounce cans cannellini white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 6-7 fresh Tuscan kale leaves, stems removed and discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 3 14.5-ounce cans gluten-free, fat free, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked sorghum
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives, optional for garnish
- 1 lime cut into 6-8 wedges, optional for garnish
In a large stock pot (6 quarts), add oil and heat to warm. Add onion and garlic. Sauté 2 minutes. Add chicken, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir well to distribute seasonings. Cook over medium heat until chicken is golden brown, thoroughly cooked, and no longer pink on the inside.
Add chicken broth and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low. When simmer is achieved, add cannellini beans, kale, and cooked sorghum. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 5 minutes to ensure all ingredients are hot.
Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with chives and a wedge of fresh lime.
Connie Veilleux is the founder of DailyForage.com, a blog sharing recipes that are always free of gluten, dairy, peanuts and shellfish. DailyForage.com encompasses recipes for those just starting out in their gluten-free journey and wanting to feel “normal” in their safe food options, as well as recipes offering healthy, nutritionally balanced choices focusing on less sugar, less meat, and more fruits and veggies.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/soups-stews/tuscan-chicken-cannellini-kale-soup/
Copyright ©2023 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.