Thai-Inspired Creamy Chicken Soup
This creamy chicken soup is slightly spicy and slightly sweet, dairy free and full of nutrients to make an all-in-one meal perfect for lunch or dinner. It can be made up to three days ahead and chilled, warming just before serving.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or wheat-free soy sauce
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- Pinch each of cayenne and red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce, optional
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 3 green onions, sliced, for garnish
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté chicken thighs in coconut oil until golden brown on all sides. Set aside to cool slightly.
Add onion, mushrooms and pepper. Sauté an additional 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, and turn heat to medium-low.
Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces and return to pot, then add remaining ingredients, reserving carrot until the last 3 minutes of cooking.
Simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, adding carrot at end.
To serve, top each bowl with green onion, cilantro and freshly squeezed lime as desired.
Nutrition Analysis: 330 cal, 24 g fat, 35 mg chol, 370 mg sodium, 16 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 17 g protein
Angela Sackett is a photographer at Legacy Seven Studios and writer at saletlux.com and dancingwithmyfather.net, where she shares recipes and hospitality tips.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/soups-stews/thai-inspired-creamy-chicken-soup/
Copyright ©2019 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.