Spicy Shrimp and Pasta Shell Soup
This hearty seafood soup is corn, dairy, egg, gluten, nut and soy free.
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 14 .5-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons (gluten-free) Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1½ teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- 1¼ cups uncooked gluten-free pasta shells
- 1 pound shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- Garnish with chopped parsley or a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Boil water for gluten-free pasta as directed on the package.
In large pan, sauté garlic and onion in the olive oil on low to medium heat until the edges of the onion appear translucent.
Add the broth, tomato sauce, celery, carrot, basil and cayenne pepper. Simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the celery is nearly tender. Add the canned tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper and Sriracha sauce and cook for approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
While the soup is simmering, prepare the gluten-free pasta shells. When done cooking, put in colander, rinse with hot water and drain.
Add the cooked pasta and shrimp to the soup and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until the shrimp turns opaque. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp or they will be tough and rubbery. Taste and adjust the seasonings as you like. Scoop into bowls and garnish with parsley and cheese.
Cook’s Tip: The flavor of the soup is best if allowed to cool slightly before serving.
Andean Dream quinoa and rice shells work well and are corn free.
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce made in Canada and the UK uses malt vinegar and is not considered gluten free.
Huy Fong Foods, Inc. and Sk Valley Organicville Sriracha sauces are among gluten-free brands.
Cooking time: 35 minutes.
Calories: 330, Carbohydrates: 54 g, Protein: 20 g, Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 95 mg, Sodium: 1880 mg, Fiber: 6 g
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/soups-stews/spicy-shrimp-soup/
Copyright ©2019 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.