Raw Vegan Chili
You will need a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix or food processor for this recipe. To make this raw vegan chili recipe less spicy, omit the jalapeño and/or the cayenne pepper.
This recipe is vegan and free of dairy, eggs and nuts.
- [Image]: http://cdn.glutenfreeliving.com/2016/01/fully-raw-chili.jpg
- 3 to 4 cups no-salt, no-oil sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 to 4 cups coarsely chopped ripe tomatoes, from 3 to 4 medium tomatoes, stems removed
- 1 cup sliced cherry or grape tomatoes, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sweet or hot paprika
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño chile, stem and seeds removed, minced, optional
- Dash of ground cayenne pepper, optional
- 2¼ cups corn kernels, from about 3 ears
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped green onion, white and green parts
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 4 basil leaves, chopped
- Leaves from 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled, sliced
Put the sun-dried tomatoes in a mixing bowl and cover with water. Set aside for 30 to 60 minutes, until the tomatoes are plumped and tender. Drain.
Combine the sun-dried tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, chili powder, paprika, sage and cumin in the blender or food processor, and process into a thick paste. Using a spatula, scrape the spiced tomato base into a mixing bowl.
Mix in the garlic, and jalapeño and cayenne, if using. (These are powerhouse ingredients, so use as little or as much as you want, depending on how shy your mouth is feeling.)
Add the corn, zucchini, celery, bell pepper, carrot, green onion, and red onion and mix into the tomato base.
Scatter the herbs, mushrooms, and avocado on top. Fold in so that the pieces are still bright and visible.
Nutrition analysis: 480 cal, 15 g fat, 0 mg chol, 280 mg sodium, 86 g carbs, 23 g fiber, 43 g sugar, 19 g protein.
Recipe excerpted from The Fully Raw Diet © 2016 by Kristina Carrillo-Bucaram. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/soups-stews/raw-vegan-chili/
Copyright ©2022 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.