Minty Avocado and Tomatillo Soup
Soup might not be the first thing that comes to mind as your meal of choice on a hot summer day, but this Minty Avocado and Tomatillo Soup might just change your mind. This flavorsome dish is served chilled, with a perfect blend of refreshing ingredients to keep you cool all day long.
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
- 1 small avocado, peeled, pitted and flesh scooped out
- 4 large tomatillos, peeled, rinsed well and quartered
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped
- Large handful of fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or to taste
- 1½ teaspoons unrefined salt or to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until smooth, adding more stock or water if the soup is too thick. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and lemon juice, if needed. Serve straight from the blender or cover and refrigerate and serve chilled.
Smoky Minty Avocado and Tomatillo Soup: Add ¹⁄8 to ¼ teaspoon of chipotle powder, or smoked paprika for milder tastes.
Recipe from The Whole Bowl by Rebecca Wood, James Beard Award and IACP Award winner, and Leda Scheintaub, a food writer and recipe developer. Reprinted with permission from The Countryman Press © 2015.
Calories: 130, Carbohydrates: 12 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 9 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 50 mg, Fiber: 6 g
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/soups-stews/minty-avocado-tomatillo-soup/
Copyright ©2019 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.