Quick, easy and always popular, this mild chili gets a protein boost from lentils. For more heat, add dried chili flakes to taste.
- 1 cup (8 ounces) brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (1 ounce) finely diced lean bacon
- 1 small yellow onion (4 ounces), finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper (4 ounces), diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies, plus the juice
- 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups gluten-free beef or chicken broth
- Fine sea salt and black pepper
- Fresh cilantro leaves
Cover the lentils with boiling water and let stand for 20 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
In a large pot, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the bacon, onion and bell pepper, and cook over low-medium heat until softened, 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chili powder and cumin.
Drain the lentils and add to the pan. Stir in the tomatoes, beans and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, partly cover, and simmer until the lentils are tender, 25 minutes. Taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with the cilantro.
Nutrition Analysis: 660 cal, 12 g fat, 0 mg chol, 960 mg sodium, 102 g carbs, 44 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 43 g protein.
Gluten-Free Living Food Editor Jackie Mallorca has over a dozen cookbooks to her credit. Her latest titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/soups-stews/lentil-chili/
Copyright ©2019 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.