Gluten-Free Turkey Pumpkin Chili
Baby when it’s cold outside, a warm bowl of rich chili seems irresistible. This recipe gets some of its heat from zesty spice and chili peppers. And it contains a surprising ingredient – pumpkin. This recipe can also be made as a vegan dish by omitting the ground turkey.
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 onion (chopped, approximately 2 cups)
- 1 sweet red bell pepper (chopped, approximately 1 cup)
- 1 Anaheim* chili pepper (minced, approximately 1/3 cup)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs. ground turkey
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans
- 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans
- 1 can (14-16 oz.) tomatoes (chopped, with the juice) or 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicy)
- 1 can (15 oz.) 100 percent pumpkin
1. Sauté garlic, onion, red pepper and chili pepper in olive oil for approximately 5 minutes. Add the ground turkey. Mix together and cook until turkey is no longer pink.
2. Add beans (no need to drain or rinse—just dump the whole can in), tomatoes and spices. Simmer for a few minutes. Add the pumpkin. Stir and heat thoroughly.
3. Taste and adjust the seasonings, as you prefer.
* If you can’t find an Anaheim chili pepper, select another mild pepper so that it equals approximately ⅓ cup once minced.
Calories: 750, Carbohydrates: 106 g, Protein: 58 g, Fat: 12 g, Cholesterol: 80 mg, Sodium: 960 mg, Fiber: 34 g
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/soups-stews/gluten-free-turkey-pumpkin-chili/
Copyright ©2020 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.