Gluten-Free Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Growing up, something my dad always made for us on busy weeknights was a bowl of tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. It wasn’t anything fancy—the soup was right out of a can—but we absolutely loved it. It’s still one of those delicious comfort meals that I crave after a long day, which is why I came up with this version of a creamy tomato soup for the family, which is just as satisfying as Dad’s, almost as simple and healthier. Grilled cheese optional!
– Alex Snodgrass, The Defined Dish
- Alex Snodgrass, The Defined Dish: http://www.thedefineddish.com/thedefineddishcookbook/
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 2 cups diced yellow onion (2 medium)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or balsamic vinegar (see Note below)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper, and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
Stir in the diced tomatoes, broth, coconut milk, tomato juice, and coconut sugar, and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth, or transfer the soup to a blender in batches and blend until smooth. Taste the soup and season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Stir in the basil.
Divide the soup among 4 bowls, drizzle with olive oil, and serve hot.
Tip: The coconut sugar in this recipe helps cut the acidity of the tomatoes. If you want a Whole30 rendition, you can omit the sugar and add 2 tablespoons of aged balsamic vinegar to add a little sweetness to the soup.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/soups-stews/gluten-free-creamy-tomato-basil-soup/
Copyright ©2022 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.