Creamy Gourd Soup
The original French version of this classic involves peeling, steaming and puréeing a large pumpkin, plus making chicken stock. This is the speedy version.
- SOUP INGREDIENTS
- 2 15-ounce cans plain butternut squash or pumpkin purée
- 1 cup (8 fluid ounces) gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 cup (8 fluid ounces) heavy cream or half-and-half
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, optional, for swirling
- Crunchy gluten-free croutons, optional (recipe below)
- CROUTONS INGREDIENTS
- 4 slices frozen gluten-free, whole-grain soft sandwich bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
Stack bread and shave off the crusts.
Chop the pile into ½-inch cubes. Fry slowly in olive oil and butter until crisp and golden, turning often, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
Put the squash purée, chicken broth and cream in a heavy-based pot and combine with a whisk. Whisk until smooth and bring to a boil, still whisking.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Top each serving with a swirl of cream and croutons, if using.
Nutrition Analysis: 290 cal, 23 g fat, 80 mg chol, 50 mg sodium, 20 g carbs, 6 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 5 g protein.
The author of more than a dozen cookbooks to date, Gluten-Free Living Contributing Editor Jackie Mallorca’s titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/soups-stews/creamy-gourd-soup/
Copyright ©2023 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.