Creamy Carrot Soup
Time permitting it’s a good plan to double the ingredients. This soup tastes as good, if not even better, the following day!
- SOUP INGREDIENTS
- ½ pound young carrots, peeled
- 1 small Yukon Gold potato (4 ounces), peeled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion (4 ounces), peeled and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme, or ¼ teaspoon dried
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- Fine sea salt and white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon white sugar
- Chopped chives or parsley
- Crunchy gluten-free croutons, optional (recipe below)
- CROUTONS INGREDIENTS
- 4 slices frozen gluten-free, whole-grain soft sandwich bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
Stack bread and shave off the crusts.
Chop the pile into ½-inch cubes. Fry slowly in olive oil and butter until crisp and golden, turning often, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
Slice the carrots and potatoes very thinly using a food processor or mandoline. Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Stir in the carrots, potatoes, onion and thyme.
Cover and cook over very low heat, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent sticking, for 10 minutes. Add the broth, salt and pepper to taste, and sugar.
Cover the pan and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Puree in a food processor and return to the rinsed pan. Taste for seasoning and reheat. Garnish each serving with chives or parsley, and top with croutons, if using.
Nutrition Analysis: 250 calories, 13 g fat, 30 mg chol, 170 mg sodium, 30 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 8 g protein.
The author of more than a dozen cookbooks to date, Gluten-Free Living Contributing Editor Jackie Mallorca’s titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/soups-stews/creamy-carrot-soup/
Copyright ©2021 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.