A steaming bowl of Asian Sweet and Spicy Noodle Soup is my idea of the healthiest of comfort foods in a bowl. Loaded with colorful vegetables to feed the eyes (because we eat with our eyes first) and just enough sweetness to play against the heat of the chili sauce, the taste buds will be thoroughly satisfied. Bathe thin rice noodles in the flavor-infused broth and you’ve got yourself a bowl of indulgence you can feel good about.
I like to create the same base stock each time I make this soup, then I play around with the “feature ingredients” to add variety and different flavor combinations. Here’s my favorite version…so far. The base stock can be made and frozen so it’s always ready for a quick dinner by just adding your veggies, protein of choice, and noodles.
This recipe is free of gluten, dairy, eggs, fish and shellfish. This recipe does contain sesame oil, which may be a concern for those who have peanut or tree nut allergies. Sesame oil can be substituted with olive oil.
- Ingredients for base stock:
- 8 cups gluten-free, fat free, low sodium chicken broth
- 9 green onions, sliced into 1/2” lengths, include white and green parts
- 6 sweet baby bell peppers (stems and seeds removed), sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 6 tablespoons gluten-free sweet chile sauce
- 4 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cooking wine
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Feature ingredients:
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 cups (about 1/2 pound) sliced green beans, cut into about 1/2” pieces
- 2 cups thinly sliced Tuscan kale leaves, stems removed and discarded
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- Fresh ginger to taste, peeled and grated
- 2 packages (8.8 ounces each) gluten free thin rice noodles, prepared according to package directions and set aside in cool water until ready to use
- 1/4 cup shredded purple cabbage, optional for garnish
- 1/4 cup shredded Napa cabbage, optional for garnish
- 1/4 cup shredded kale, optional for garnish
Combine all Base Stock ingredients in a large stock pot (6 quarts). Heat over medium high heat until broth comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes (Cool completely and freeze in re-sealable Mason jars if not using to make soup at this time).
Once the stock has simmered about 10 minutes, add the carrots, cabbage, and green beans. Simmer soup for another 5 minutes, or until vegetables are just crisp-tender. Don’t overcook them or they’ll become mushy. Add the kale, chicken, and fresh ginger. Cook another one to two minutes. Reduce heat to low.
To serve, drain the noodles and place desired amount in each bowl. Ladle hot soup over noodles and garnish with freshly shredded purple cabbage, Napa cabbage and kale strips. Garnish with a bit of additional freshly grated ginger if desired.
Connie Veilleux is the founder of DailyForage.com, a blog sharing recipes that are always free of gluten, dairy, peanuts and shellfish. DailyForage.com encompasses recipes for those just starting out in their gluten-free journey and wanting to feel “normal” in their safe food options, as well as recipes offering healthy, nutritionally balanced choices focusing on less sugar, less meat, and more fruits and veggies.