Turkish Roasted Pepper and Tuna Appetizer
Sharing several ingredients with a classic French Salad Niçoise but presented differently, this Eastern Mediterranean version quickly wins fans. Enjoy it with Quick Walnut Bread or toasted gluten-free soft sandwich bread.
- Quick Walnut Bread: http://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/desserts-sweets/quick-walnut-bread/
- 1 garlic clove, unpeeled, cut in half
- 4 medium red bell peppers, grilled, peeled and seeded, cut into strips
- 4 green onions, (white and pale green parts only), finely chopped
- 16 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 can (6 or 7 ounces) tuna in olive oil, flaked
- 2 large eggs, hard boiled, cooled, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges, optional
Rub the interior of a large, shallow serving dish with the garlic halves to release some of the garlic oil, and discard them. Add successive layers (or sprinkles) of bell pepper strips, green onion, olives, tuna, chopped eggs, and parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice, and mix gently. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Garnish with lemon wedges, if using, before serving.
Cook’s tip: Enjoy with the Quick Walnut Bread or toasted gluten-free soft sandwich bread.
Chilling time: 30 minutes.
(This recipe originally appeared in #2/2012)
Recipe by Jacqueline Mallorca. The author of more than a dozen cookbooks, Jackie Mallorca’s most recent titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian. For more information, tips and recipes, go to GlutenFreeExpert.com.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/snacks-appetizers/turkish-roasted-pepper-and-tuna-appetizer/
Copyright ©2021 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.