Pigs in a Blanket
This classic appetizer gets a gluten-free makeover with a homemade “blanket” dough. This recipe is also gluten, corn, nut and soy free (it can also be made dairy free).
Notes on making this recipe corn free:
- Hain Baking Powder does not contain cornstarch. hainpurefoods.com
- Only Red Star Active Dry Yeast in packets is corn-free. All other Red Star Active Dry Yeast has a corn-derived preservative in the ingredients. redstaryeast.com
- Applegate Farms Natural Uncured Beef Hot Dogs do not contain corn or dairy. applegate.com
- Annie’s Naturals Honey Mustard and Horseradish Mustards are corn free. annies.com
- hainpurefoods.com: http://www.hainpurefoods.com/products/product.php?prod_id=1842
- redstaryeast.com: http://redstaryeast.com
- applegate.com: http://www.applegate.com/products/natural-uncured-beef-hot-dog
- annies.com: http://annies.com
- 1¼ cups brown rice flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 packet active dry yeast (see corn-free notes)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (see corn-free notes)
- 1 teaspoon guar gum*
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup non-hydrogenated shortening or unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup milk substitute, milk or water
- 6 Applegate Farms natural uncured beef hot dogs, cut in half (corn and dairy free)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
- Mustard for dipping
Place all the dough ingredients in a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix for 2 minutes on medium high. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise in a warm spot for 45 minutes.
After the dough has risen, generously dust the counter with rice flour. Working with ¼ of the dough at a time, roll the dough out thinly, to about ¹⁄8 inch. Cut 12 triangles, then roll each around a hot dog piece, starting from the base of the triangle and rolling toward the point. If the dough is too sticky, knead in some additional rice flour.
Preheat oven to 375° F. Place the pigs in a blanket on a lightly greased baking sheet and brush gently with egg wash. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
*Xanthan gum may be used instead if well-tolerated.
Nutrition analysis: 370 cal; 16g fat; 75 mg sodium; 47 g carbs; 2g fiber; 5 g sugar; 11 g protein.
Recipe by Terris Cleary, a graduate of the California Culinary Academy, who has celiac disease and whose son has multiple food allergies. She blogs about gluten-free, allergen-free recipes at freeeatsfood.com.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/snacks-appetizers/pigs-blanket/
Copyright ©2021 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.