No holiday get-together is complete without a classic crowd-pleasing cheese ball. Make it up to three days ahead of time and put it out as guests start to arrive.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 6 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- FOR SERVING
- ¼ cup toasted, crushed walnuts
- ¼ cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
In a large mixing bowl, place cream cheese, butter, Swiss cheese, mustard, salt, pepper and onion.
Using an electric mixer, mix until thoroughly combined.
Scoop onto a large sheet of clear plastic wrap and quickly shape into a ball.
Seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Roll cheese ball in toasted, ground walnuts mixed with shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese.
Serve with crackers and/or fresh vegetables.
*If you don’t wish to freeze the cheese ball, store in refrigerator for at least 8 hours, and up to 3 days, to allow flavors to develop. Roll in toppings just before serving.
Recipe and photo by Angela Sackett