This recipe makes a slightly sticky grain-free granola—it will not be dry like granola that contains grains.
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- ½ cup dried cherries, unsweetened
- ½ cup unsweetened cacao nibs
- Zest of 1 orange
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes, optional
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free chocolate chips or chunks
Preheat oven to 200° F.
Drain and rinse nuts and allow to air dry at least 15 minutes on paper towels.
Combine nuts in a food processor and pulse 3 to 5 times or until just broken up.
In a medium saucepan, melt coconut oil with honey, then stir in cocoa, vanilla and orange juice.
Stir with a whisk until ingredients come together and are warmed through.
Pour honey mixture into food processor and pulse 3 to 4 times to combine.
Add chia seeds and flax meal, dried cherries, cacao nibs, orange zest and coconut, if using. Pulse 3 to 6 more times to combine.
Pour mixture onto a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake 3 to 4 hours, or until sticky and somewhat dry.
Allow to cool—the mixture will crisp slightly as it cools. Stir in chocolate chips.
Store in a sealed, covered container for up to 1 month.
Recipe and photo by Angela Sackett