Try this twist on sausage-rice stuffing by swapping out white rice for wild rice and using flavorful-packed chorizo.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 container (13 oz) Pillsbury® Gluten Free refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb gluten-free chorizo sausage, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup Progresso® chicken broth (from 32 oz carton)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. In 2-quart saucepan, heat water, rice and salt to boiling; stir. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour or until most of the liquid has evaporated and rice pops open. Drain; set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, heat oven to 400°F. With hands, grease baking sheet with the 1 teaspoon olive oil. With oiled hands, press pizza dough into 6-inch circle onto baking sheet. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until crust is dry and bottom is golden brown. Remove from baking sheet; cool on wire rack. Cut crust into bite-sized cubes.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Grease 2-quart casserole.
4. In 12-inch skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir chorizo, onion and garlic 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Stir in parsley and sage; cook 1 minute longer.
5. In large bowl, stir together wild rice, pizza crust cubes, chorizo mixture, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Spoon into casserole; cover with aluminum foil. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Analysis: 370 cal, 18 g fat, 25 mg chol, 1250 sodium, 40 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 13 g protein.
Recipe by Pillsbury.