This dish is rich and decadent, and reheats well so you can serve it another day. Serve alongside a fancy dinner or make it your main attraction—it perfectly complements a big hearty salad for a weeknight dinner.
- Butter for baking dish
- 8 slices thick bacon
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan and Gruyere blend
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, cut into pea-sized pieces
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Butter a 9 x 11-inch oven-safe glass baking dish.
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Allow bacon to cool then crumble it; dispose of half of grease and set aside pan.
Layer 1/3 of the sweet potatoes in bottom of prepared baking dish. Top with 1/3 of the bacon, 1/3 of the spinach, then 1/3 of the cheese blend. Repeat until all layers are used, finishing with cheese blend.
Sauté onion in pan with remaining bacon fat until softened. Add in 1 tablespoon chives, garlic, rosemary, sea salt and black pepper, and stir. Cook 2-3 minutes.
Stir in heavy cream and reduce heat. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
Carefully pour cream mixture around edges of dish and dot top with butter and remaining chives.
Cover with nonstick foil and bake 30 minutes.
Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes, or until potatoes are fork-tender.