- 1 cup seasonal mushrooms (sauté with shallots until caramelized)
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green apple
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups Rudi’s gluten-free bread (either Cinnamon Raisin or Multigrain), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-2 cups chicken stock, warmed, add to mixture until bread is moist and desired texture is achieved.
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
1. In a large mixing bowl toss the mushrooms and shallots, celery, and green apple with the oil and salt. Place the vegetables on a sheet pan and roast for 35 minutes. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, spread the Rudi’s gluten-free bread over the vegetables, return to the oven, and continue cooking.
2. Place vegetables and bread, chicken stock, cherries, pecans, egg, sage, parsley and black pepper in a large bowl. Stir well in order to break up pieces of bread. Use your hands to combine, if necessary. Heat the stuffing in the oven to warm up.
You can also make this recipe using dried porcini mushrooms instead of the seasonal mushrooms. Also replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
1. Heat 2 cups of vegetable stock in saucepan to simmer; remove from heat. Place mushrooms in bowl and pour heated broth over them. Cover and allow to sit for 35 minutes.
2. Drain dried mushrooms, reserving 1 cup of liquid only. Chop the mushrooms and place in a large oven proof bowl with the vegetables and bread, reserved stock, cherries, pecans, eggs, sage, parsley and black pepper. Stir well in order to break up pieces of bread. Use your hands to combine, if necessary. Heat the stuffing in the oven to warm up.