This is such a perfectly balanced dish to cool you off a bit this summer. This slaw has just the right amount of crunch and sweetness to balance the meal out.
Fresh is always best, including the pineapple in this recipe. But you can easily substitute a store-bought tinned version of pineapple chunks. Just be sure to get one that doesn’t have any sugar or sweetener added—the pineapple is sweet enough.
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, fresh if possible, cut into bite-sized chunks, bit of juice included
- 2 cups rainbow coleslaw mix of shredded red and white cabbage and shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 large handful fresh cilantro (about 1½ tablespoons), roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons good-quality mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, combine all the first five ingredients together and mix well. You want a bit of the pineapple juice in this as well.
Season to taste with a bit of salt and pepper. Cover the bowl with cling film and keep in the fridge until needed.
This is best if eaten within 24 hours of preparing.