The different textures of quinoa, chickpeas and grilled peppers complement one another especially well in this appetizing, satisfying salad.
- ¾ cup gluten-free vegetable broth
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium red bell peppers, grilled, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium (about 8 ounces) cucumber, peeled, center seed section discarded, and diced
- 12 Kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
- 1 can (16-ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring the vegetable broth and water to a boil. Add the quinoa, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Combine the chopped peppers, cucumber, olives, chickpeas, and parsley in a separate bowl. Whisk the olive oil and wine vinegar together, add to the bowl of vegetables, and stir to combine. Pour over the quinoa, and mix together. Gently stir in the feta. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand for at least 20 minutes for the flavors to mingle before serving at room temperature.
Calories: 470, Carbohydrates: 50 g , Protein: 15 g , Fat: 25 g, Sodium: 500 mg, Fiber: 10 g
Recipe by Jacqueline Mallorca. The author of more than a dozen cookbooks, Jackie Mallorca’s most recent titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian. For more information, tips and recipes, go to GlutenFreeExpert.com.