Paleo Carrot Cake Muffins with Cinnamon Maple Cream Cheese Buttercream
Healthy enough to serve as a breakfast muffin or a dinner side, but delicious enough to be dessert, these muffins are full of vegetables and spice.
- 3/4 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces, optional
- 1/3 cup salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup maple sugar or 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, softened to room temperature (use dairy-free cream cheese for a Paleo version of these muffins)
- 4 tablespoons maple sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
Preheat oven to 350° F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with parchment liners.
Press vegetables with paper towels over a strainer to remove excess water.
Whisk together dry ingredients and walnuts, if using, then stir in vegetables.
Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, maple sugar and eggs until light and fluffy.
Gently stir in dry ingredient mixture and add to muffin tin. Bake 18-22 minutes, or until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 30-45 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat together frosting ingredients with an electric mixer and whisk attachment.
When muffins are cooled, frost and serve.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/sides/paleo-carrot-cake-muffins-with-cinnamon-maple-cream-cheese-buttercream/
Copyright ©2019 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.