Mediterranean Chickpea, Tuna and Olive Salad
Serves 4 to 6
A go-to dish when you’re in a hurry but need something appetizing, affordable and healthful. This recipe is easy to cut in half.
- SALAD INGREDIENTS
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 4-ounce cans unsalted tuna, separated into chunks
- 1 head celery (4-ounce center portion only)
- ½ cup roasted and chopped red bell pepper from a jar
- 4 green onions, white and pale green parts only, finely chopped
- 12 pitted black Kalamata olives
- 12 pitted green olives
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed and minced, optional
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or ½ teaspoon dried
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
Put the chickpeas and tuna in a serving bowl. Pull the outer stalks off the head of celery and reserve for another use. Slice very thinly straight across the tender white center to make about 1 cup.
Layer the sliced celery, bell pepper, green onions, black olives, green olives and parsley on top of the chickpeas and tuna.
In a separate bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic and oregano, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Whisk to combine. Drizzle over the chickpea mixture and mix gently. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.
Nutrition Analysis: 380 cal, 25 g fat, 15 mg chol, 490 mg sodium, 24 g carbs, 8 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 17 g protein.
The author of more than a dozen cookbooks to date, Gluten-Free Living Contributing Editor Jackie Mallorca’s titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/sides/mediterranean-chickpea-tuna-olive-salad/
Copyright ©2019 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.