Makes 10 latkes
- LUCKY SALSA
- 1/2 cup black-eyed peas
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, minced
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate arils
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch chili powder
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- 5 cups (2 pounds) russet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 2 cups spinach and your favorite greens, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced and dried well
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more seasoning
- 1/2 cup vegetable or other high-heat oil
- Sour cream for garnish
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced, for garnish (both green and white parts)
Combine all salsa ingredients in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Shred potatoes with a grater into a bowl of ice water. Let sit for 10 minutes.
Remove potatoes, squeezing out the moisture into the water. Dry potatoes very well with towels. Let water sit 10 minutes to allow starch to accumulate on the bottom.
Carefully drain water, reserving the white starch on the bottom.
Place potatoes in a large bowl, dry again very well.
Add the spinach and greens, onion, garlic, egg, flour, salt and reserved starch and combine.
Heat up vegetable oil in a large sauté pan. Scoop two tablespoons of the potato mixture into the pan, flatten lightly and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and fry the other side.
Season immediately with salt and drain on a rack over paper towels. Repeat with remaining latkes.
Serve immediately with sour cream, Lucky Salsa and green onions.
Calories: 300, Carbohydrates: 38g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 14g, Cholesterol: 20mg, Sodium: 190mg, Fiber: 6g