- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 sweet or red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely minced jarred jalapenos
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk or buttermilk
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Crushed red pepper; as needed
- (Optional) ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Saute onion until soft; add garlic and saute 3 minutes longer. Add salt and pepper and jalapenos and stir for 3 minutes.
Raise heat to medium-high and stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil and whisk in grits.
Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook 5-10 minutes until grits have thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/sides/jalapeno-cheddar-grits/
Copyright ©2021 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.