Homemade Green Bean Casserole
- 4 cloves garlic, whole
- 1¼ pounds. green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 4 stalks celery, small dice
- ½ pound button mushrooms, rinsed, stems removed, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Onion topping
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ¼ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large white onion, sliced into thin rings
- 2-3 cups safflower or vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Place 4 garlic cloves in a large pot, fill with water and bring to a boil. Add the green beans and 2 tablespoons of salt. Cook until the beans are soft, about 8-10 minutes. Drain in a colander and then immediately place the beans into a bowl of ice water. This will stop the cooking process. Once the beans are cold, drain and remove garlic cloves. Lay beans out on a plate and pat dry with a towel.
Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery. Cook until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until they release some of their liquid, stirring occasionally, about 4-5 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in arrowroot powder and stir until completely absorbed. Slowly stir in the milk. Cook for 7-10 minutes, until gooey and thick, stirring often. Turn off the heat and add pepper, nutmeg and the remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Add the cooked green beans and mix well.
Pour green bean mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Meanwhile, to make the topping, mix the rice flour, cornmeal, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Toss the onions in the flour mixture. Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, fry onion rings in small batches until golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt while still hot.
Top the baked green bean casserole with the fried onions. Serve warm.
Cooking time: 17 to 22 minutes.
Calories: 530, Carbohydrates: 22 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 50 g, Cholesterol: 15 mg, Sodium: 2130 mg, Fiber: 3 g
* Make the mushroom sauce up to 2 days in advance and store in the fridge. Bring it to room temperature when you’re ready to bake.
* Rinse, trim and cut the green beans the day before. Store them in a zip-top bag in the fridge until you’re ready to cook them.
* Mix the dry ingredients for the onion topping a couple of days in advance. Keep in a medium airtight container. When you’re ready, add the sliced onions, mix,and they’re ready to fry.
Recipe by Lauren Marie.
Photo by Angela Sackett.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/sides/homemade-green-bean-casserole/
Copyright ©2019 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.