- 1 cup gluten-free quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 medium onion, ﬁnely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, ﬁnely chopped
- 1 yellow chile, stemmed, seeded and ﬁnely chopped (can substitute jalapeño or serrano pepper)
- Spinach leaves, optional, for garnish
- Chile ﬂakes, optional, for garnish
Combine quinoa and 2 cups of water in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes, until the water has evaporated and the quinoa is soft.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil in a large sauté pan and fry the cashews for a few minutes, stirring until lightly browned. Remove from the heat and transfer to a small bowl to cool.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and set over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté a few minutes more. Add the chopped chile and sauté for about 1 minute. Add the cooked quinoa and roasted cashews to the pan, and toss together over low heat for about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Optional: Top with wilted spinach leaves and chile ﬂakes. Serve hot, as a side dish.
Courtesy of Oldways, oldwayspt.org.