Braised Chard with Chestnuts
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 heads Swiss chard, trimmed, rinsed and sliced
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 cup cooked/peeled chestnuts, halved Note: to save time, purchase chestnuts that are already cooked and peeled, halved
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt and cook for about 6 to 8 minutes.
Add chard and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chard wilts (about 5 minutes).
Stir in broth and brown sugar and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the chard is very tender, about 30 minutes.
Uncover the pot and add chestnuts, vinegar, salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the chestnuts are hot, 5 to 8 minutes.
Cooking time: 45 to 50 minutes.
Calories: 90, Carbohydrates: 16 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 2 g fat, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Recipe courtesy Chef John Fortin of the ROX Café in Newton, Mass.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/sides/braised-chard-chestnuts/
Copyright ©2022 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.