This layered salad is summer on a plate. The flavor combination of the sweet watermelon with the salty feta cheese and peppery arugula is truly amazing. But it’s the macadamia nuts that take this salad to a whole new level. And don’t be scared of the cayenne pepper in the dressing; it adds a soft, pleasant kick.
- 1 (5 oz) package of baby arugula leaves
- 1 (¾ oz) bunch of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 cups chopped watermelon (¼ of a large watermelon)
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion (½ of a small onion)
- 1 cup chopped cucumbers (2 small cucumbers)
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Black pepper
- For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons light agave nectar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Place arugula leaves in a large platter (about 9×13 size). Top the arugula with the chopped mint leaves. Then, spread the watermelon pieces evenly over the greens. Then, sprinkle the cucumber and red onion pieces evenly. Top with feta cheese and macadamia nuts. Lightly season the top of the salad with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, agave, and cayenne pepper. Keep whisking while adding the extra-virgin olive oil. Pour evenly over the salad right before serving. Serve cold.
Calories: 230, Carbohydrates: 15 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 18 g, Cholesterol: 15 mg, Sodium: 180 mg, Fiber: 2 g