The true traditional Greek salad is served without lettuce greens. This variation is one of the dishes that I took home from my recent trip to the Greek islands. Every restaurant on “Souvlaki Row” in Athens offers an interpretation of the super-fresh and flavorful salad.
Gluten free, nut free, corn free, vegetarian
- 3 plum tomatoes, cut into quarters
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, cored and sliced into large rounds
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and sliced into large rounds
- ½ cup black seedless marinated olives
- 4 ounces feta cheese, cut into larger pieces
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
Start by adding tomatoes, onion, pepper and cucumber into large salad bowl and mixing gently. Top the veggies with olives and feta cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and oregano. Pour over salad, do not mix, and serve immediately.
Nutrition Analysis: 270 cal, 26 g fat, 25 mg chol, 680 mg sodium, 7 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 5 g protein