Celebrate the season with this bright and easy salad. If you can find locally grown strawberries and greens at the farmers market, use them in this salad for the best flavor.
- CHICKEN TENDERS
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus additional for greasing the pan
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups baby lettuce salad greens, washed and dried
- 2 cooked chicken breasts (see above)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 1 large avocado, pitted and sliced
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- LIME DRESSING
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, plus additional if needed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
For the chicken, brush olive oil on a nonstick grill pan or heat in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place chicken breasts into hot pan.
Cook for about 5 minutes. Using a pair of tongs, flip and cook until internal temperature reaches 165° F.
Remove from the pan. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Slice into strips.
For the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, mustard and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add additional lime juice for a more tart dressing, if desired.
Gently toss together all the ingredients for the salad except for the sunflower seeds. Dress with about half the dressing. Toss together. Place on a serving platter. Top with the sunflower seeds. Drizzle with remaining dressing, or serve it on the side.
Nutrition Analysis: 450 cal, 34 g fat, 250 mg chol, 730 mg sodium, 12 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 26 g protein
Elizabeth Barbone, author of the cookbooks Easy Gluten-Free Baking and How to Cook Gluten-Free, is a regular contributor to Gluten-Free Living. She also blogs at glutenfreebaking.com.