All-Season Salad with Chicken and Apple
This crisp and refreshing salad that utilizes the spiralizer is exploding with flavors and packed with vitamins and minerals. Don’t have a spiralizer? This dish can be made by julienning instead or by using a vegetable peeler.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, lightly pounded
- 2 cups shredded cabbage*
- 2 Granny Smith or Red Delicious apples, spiralized or julienned
- 1 large carrot, spiralized or julienned*
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Fresh basil, to taste
- 1 cup fresh berries (strawberries and blueberries work well)
- ¼ cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 block raw cheddar cheese, optional
- *You can replace these veggies with broccoli slaw.
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs or herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
Mix marinade and pour over chicken breasts in a covered dish.
Let sit for 15 to 30 minutes as you prepare salad.
Make dressing by combining ingredients in a sealed jar and shake vigorously.
In a large salad bowl, layer cabbage, apples, carrot and onion.
Drizzle with dressing and toss to combine. (The dressing will help the apples keep their color.)
Warm a skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle with olive oil.
Cook chicken breasts for 4 minutes per side, or until they reach an internal temperature of 165° F.
Let chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing and layering atop salad.
Thinly slice basil and sprinkle over chicken.
Top with berries and pecans and thinly sliced cheese over top as desired.
Nutrition Analysis: 440 cal, 29 g fat, 100 mg chol, 710 mg sodium, 18 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 29 g protein
Recipe and photo by Angela Sackett, a photographer at Legacy Seven Studios and writer at saletlux.com and dancingwithmyfather.net, where she shares recipes and hospitality tips.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/salads/season-salad-chicken-apple/
Copyright ©2019 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.