Red & White Quinoa Salad with Apricots & Mint
Enjoy this flavorful gluten-free grain salad on a bed of butter lettuce, or serve as finger food spooned inside crisp Belgian endive leaves.
- ½ cup (3 ounces) white quinoa
- ½ cup (3 ounces) red quinoa
- 1¾ cups water
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup (3 ounces) diced dried apricots (soft, ready-to-eat type)
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) raisins
- 6 tablespoons (1 ounce) pine nuts or chopped pecans, lightly toasted in a dry skillet
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mellow red wine vinegar
- Pinch sugar
- Sea salt and black pepper
- ½ lemon
Combine the red and white quinoa in a sieve, rinse and drain (you can skip this step if the quinoa is pre-rinsed). Bring the water to a boil, add the salt and quinoa, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until tender and the water has been completely absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Spread out on a plate and let cool.
Combine the apricots, raisins, pine nuts and mint in a large bowl, and stir in the quinoa.
Whisk the olive oil, vinegar and sugar together, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over the quinoa mixture, and toss gently. Taste for flavor, and adjust if needed. Just before serving, squeeze the lemon juice on top and stir the mixture gently.
Calories: 500, Carbohydrates: 57 g, Protein: 8 g, Fat: 28 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 310 mg, Fiber: 7 g
Recipes © copyright 2013 by Jacqueline Mallorca. The author of more than a dozen cookbooks, Jackie Mallorca’s most recent titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/salads/red-white-quinoa-salad-with-apricots-mint/
Copyright ©2020 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.