- 1 whole (approx. 10 inches) English cucumber plus ½ cup cucumber, diced small
- ½ cup radishes, diced small
- ¼ cup carrots, diced small
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- ¾ cup raw sauerkraut (found in the refrigerated section of grocery and health stores)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
Trim the ends off of the whole English cucumber and slice ribbons by using a vegetable peeler or mandolin along the length of the cucumber. Discard the first slice of the peel, and place four of the inner slices (ribbons) on a paper towel. Cover with another paper towel; set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, toss together the diced cucumber, radishes, carrots, chives, sauerkraut, black pepper, caraway seeds, olive oil and vinegar; set aside.
On a serving dish, form a standing circle, about 3 inches in diameter, with each of the four ribbons. Spoon one-quarter of the sauerkraut mixture into each cucumber ribbon circle, garnish with chives and serve immediately.
Note: The sauerkraut mixture can be made a day ahead and kept covered in the refrigerator. Slice and form the ribbons just before serving.
Nutritional analysis: 77.8 cal., 6.9g fat, 1g sat. fat, 0mg chol., 94.6mg sodium, 3.5g carbs, 1.5g fiber, 7g protein