This Senegalese-inspired rainbow salad from Jilly Lagasse really does make you feel like you’re eating the rainbow. It makes a great accompaniment to just about anything. Try it with some grilled chicken or shrimp, or with Jilly’s Grilled Mango & Lime Salmon with Creamy Fonio.
- 1 packet of rainbow slaw (a mix of shredded purple and white cabbages and carrots)
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 mango, ripened, roughly chopped, and any juice while cutting
- ¼ cup green onions, finely sliced
- ⅓ cup fresh mint, chiffonade
- Juice of 1 ripe lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all of the ingredients into a large salad or mixing bowl. Toss well to mix the ingredients, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cover and chill until needed.
Nutrition Analysis: 60 cal, 0 g fat, 0 mg chol, 10 mg sodium, 14 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 2 g protein.
Jilly Lagasse began cooking as a child when her father, Chef Emeril Lagasse, gave her a set of chef’s whites and let her help in the pastry and dessert department in one of his restaurants. She was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2004 and has written two gluten-free cookbooks with her sister, Jessie Lagasse Swanson, as the duo The Lagasse Girls, www.lagassegirls.com. She splits her time between New Orleans and New York doing special cooking events and gluten-free pop-ups.