Roasting baby bells promotes a rich, caramelized flavor, and the skin is so tender they don’t need peeling. Serve “as is” for an appetizer or over a bed of baby arugula for a light meal.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¾ pound mini bell peppers, about 2½ inches long
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- ½ cup (1 ounce) finely sliced green onions, white and pale green part only
- About 40 (4 ounces) sugar snap peas, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- ½ cup (2 ounces) roughly chopped pecans
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Baby arugula, optional
Heat the oven to 400° F. Pour 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a large shallow baker, or use two 8-x-10-inch ones.
Halve the peppers lengthwise and remove the seed pod. Arrange the peppers cut side up in the baker without touching one another so they roast rather than steam. Bake until they start to brown and caramelize, 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove the dish from the oven and season the peppers lightly with salt and pepper. Scatter the green onions, snap peas, pecans and chickpeas on top and let cool. (Moisture from the added veggies will loosen the caramelized brown bits in the dish.) Whisk together the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil, mustard, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the salad and mix well. Taste for seasoning and transfer to a serving bowl.
The author of more than a dozen cookbooks to date, Gluten-Free Living Contributing Editor Jackie Mallorca’s titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian.