As the months get hotter, it can be difficult to create meals that are filling, without being too heavy. This refreshing Jicama, Black Bean and Quinoa Salad is the perfect meal for just those days, packed with healthy, delicious protein that will satisfy everyone at the table.The best part? This meal works as both a great side dish or main course, and keeps incredibly well, so pack up the leftovers and use them for lunch all week long. That is, of course, if you have any leftovers remaining.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 medium jicama, about 1 pound, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups cooked black beans, or 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Place quinoa in a small pot with 2 cups water. Cover and simmer until quinoa is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain off any excess water, fluff and set aside until cool.
Whisk together rice vinegar, lime zest and juice, and orange zest and juice in a small bowl.
In a large bowl, combine jicama, bell pepper, cilantro, black beans and cooled quinoa.
Pour dressing over salad and toss well to combine. Let sit at least 10 minutes.
Garnish with fresh cilantro and sesame seeds before serving. Enjoy chilled or at room temperature.
Calories: 240, Carbohydrates: 42 g, Protein: 11 g, Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 10 mg, Fiber: 11 g