The more fall flavors the better, right? Salads aren’t just for summer, and this recipe proves it! This light, simple salad makes a great side to serve with an autumn dinner or even a holiday gathering. You can also add chicken to make it a heartier dish.
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) pomegranate juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- FOR THE SALAD
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 delicata squash, ends trimmed, cut into 1/3-inch (0.8 cm)-thick rings, seeded
- 6 cups (402 g) torn stemmed kale
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 pear, sliced
- 1/2 cup (90 g) pomegranate seeds
To make the dressing: In a medium bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk to blend. Set aside.
To make the salad: Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the squash rings on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with the avocado oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bake the squash for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through the baking time. Set aside to cool.
While the squash bakes, in a large serving bowl combine the kale, olive oil, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Massage the kale for about 5 minutes, as if you were kneading dough, to soften it and coat it in the oil.
Top the kale with the squash rings, red onion, pear, and pomegranate seeds. Serve with the dressing on the side or gently mixed into the salad.