Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
This dish makes a perfect supper for a group. Start it in the afternoon and let it simmer for a few hours, filling your kitchen with a tempting aroma.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 5 cups sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- Chopped jalapeño, to taste
- 3 15-ounce cans cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, slightly drained
- 1 6-ounce can gluten-free tomato paste
- 2½ teaspoons chili powder
- 2½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cups gluten-free, low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil, diced onions and salt. Cook onions for 2-3 minutes and add the sweet potato, garlic, green pepper and jalapeño. Cook for 5 minutes, until vegetables are beginning to soften.
Add the black beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings and brown sugar. Stir until combined and cook for 3-5 minutes to let the flavors meld together.
Add the broth. For thinner chili, add more broth than called for. Bring chili to a boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer for at least 30 minutes, but up to a few hours to allow deeper flavors to develop.
Top with your favorite chili toppings: tortilla chips, non-fat Greek yogurt, cilantro, etc.
Nutrition Analysis: 280 cal, 1.5 g fat, 0 mg chol, 950 mg sodium, 56 g carbs, 17 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 13 g protein.
Isadora Lassance lives in Tucson, Arizona, with her husband and their orange cat, Cheeto. A regular contributor to Gluten-Free Living, she also blogs about whole food and seasonal ingredients at shelikesfood.com.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/sweet-potato-black-bean-chili/
Copyright ©2019 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.