This recipe for Turmeric Steel Cut Oats with Kimchi and Fried Egg brings the seductive, savory flavors of turmeric and kimchi to oats for a surprisingly savory dish.
- 1 shallot
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried turmeric
- ½ cup Flahavan's Irish Steel Cut Oatmeal
- 3¾ cups vegetable stock, heated
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 2 free-range eggs
- 3½ ounces kimchi
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
Finely chop the shallot, then peel and grate the ginger.
Toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan for 2 minutes until fragrant, and put aside for later.
Add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat and sauté the shallot and ginger until soft.
Add the turmeric and sauté for another 1 minute before adding in the oats and hot vegetable stock.
Continue cooking for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring from time to time to prevent from sticking. Season with salt and plenty of pepper.
In the meantime, add remaining 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to a small frying pan over medium heat and fry the eggs to your liking.
Spoon the turmeric porridge into two shallow bowls. Top each with half of the kimchi and a fried egg. Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and coriander leaves to serve.
Recipe courtesy of Flahavan’s Irish Oats.