These colorful burrito bowls combine fresh spring vegetables with hearty rice and black beans for a healthy, filling meal. Crumbled corn chips add crunch, while a bright cilantro-lime dressing ties the whole bowl together.
- Burrito Bowls
- 1 cup dried rice, brown or white
- 3 cups diced golden beets, about ½-inch dice
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 cup crumbled corn chips
- Cilantro leaves for garnish, if desired
- Lime wedges for garnish, if desired
- Cilantro Lime Dressing
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon pure maple syrup or honey
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ cup packed cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Cook the rice according to package directions.
Pre-heat the oven to 400° F. Place chopped beets onto a large cookie sheet and add olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat and bake until beets are fork tender, about 30 minutes.
Put the dressing ingredients into a blender and blend until emulsified, about 30 seconds.
Assemble the burrito bowls: Equally divide all ingredients into four bowls. In each bowl you will add about ¾ cups rice, ²⁄3 cup beets, ½ cup black beans, 1 sliced radish, ¼ avocado, 1 small handful sliced red onion, ¼ cup chopped tomatoes, 1 tablespoon green onion and ¼ cup crumbled chips. Add desired amount of dressing to each bowl and mix together. Serve warm.
Nutrition Analysis: 830 cal, 46 g fat, 0 mg chol, 560 mg sodium, 92 g carbs, 19 g fiber, 14 g sugar, 17 g protein.
Recipe and photos by Isadora Lassance. Lassance lives in Tucson, Arizona, with her husband and their orange cat, Cheeto. She blogs about whole food and seasonal ingredients at shelikesfood.com.