You don’t need to fire up the grill to enjoy the flavor of barbecued chicken. Just grab your slow cooker. This recipe works with either boneless chicken thighs or breasts.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or put through a garlic press
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Gluten-fee hamburger buns, optional
- Easy Coleslaw, optional (see recipe below)
- EASY COLESLAW
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (increase to 2 teaspoons for a tangy coleslaw)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups coleslaw salad blend
In a small bowl, stir together onion, garlic, ketchup, molasses, vinegar and black pepper. For a smooth sauce, blend until smooth in a blender or food processor.
Place the chicken in a 6-quart slow cooker. Pour sauce evenly over the chicken. Place the lid on the slow cooker.
Cook for 3 hours on high or 5 hours on low. The chicken should easily come apart when touched with a fork.
Transfer chicken to a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken. Return the chicken to the slow cooker. Stir to coat with the sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve on toasted hamburger buns with coleslaw, if desired.
Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, sugar and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Stir until smooth. Add the coleslaw salad blend. Stir to combine. Adjust salt and pepper as desired.
Nutrition Analysis (chicken): 250 cal, 2 g fat, 85 mg chol, 520 mg sodium, 24 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 20 g sugar, 35 g protein.
Nutrition Analysis (coleslaw): 70 cal, 7 g fat, 5 mg chol, 260 mg sodium, 1 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 0 g protein.
Elizabeth Barbone, author of the cookbooks Easy Gluten-Free Baking and How to Cook Gluten-Free, is a regular contributor to Gluten-Free Living. She also blogs at glutenfreebaking.com.