Slow Cooker Beef Randang with Jasmine Rice
Serves 4 to 6
Don’t be intimidated by the name or ingredients. Trust me…this is the ultimate curry dish to warm you up on a cool night. Randang is a Malaysian beef curry that is truly PACKED with flavor—unsurprising, once you see all the spices and herbs in this dish. Try to find a good Asian market to source some of the ingredients, like the fresh lemongrass stalks, and to keep the price down.
– Jilly Lagasse
- 2 large stalks of fresh lemongrass, any rough, brown outer leaves discarded
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 green onions, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste or a 2-centimeter piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 red chilies, roughly chopped (more or less depending on heat preference)
- 2 teaspoons nuoc mam (fish sauce)
- 3 tablespoons sunflower or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2½ pounds good-quality beef stew meat
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks or ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- One 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- Steamed Jasmine rice for serving
- Fresh cilantro to garnish, if desired
First prepare the lemongrass. On a cutting board, using a wooden spoon or the back of a heavy knife, whack the lemongrass stalks a few times all over to release the flavor and natural oils. Then roughly chop the stalks, discarding the ends.
Place the lemongrass, onions, garlic, ginger, chilies and fish sauce into a food processor or NutriBullet and pulse until a thick paste forms. This will become the curry paste.
Heat the oil in a large wok or sauté pan on medium heat. Add the curry paste, ground coriander, cumin and turmeric to the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until fragrant, stirring often.
Next add all of the stew meat to the pan and cook for a further 4 minutes to seal the meat.
Transfer the mixture into your slow cooker. Add the cinnamon sticks, lime zest and juice, coconut milk, sugar and a pinch of salt to taste.
Give everything a good stir and ensure all the meat is covered in the curry sauce.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
To serve, discard the cinnamon sticks and serve with steamed Jasmine rice and a sprinkling of fresh cilantro to garnish, if desired.
Preparation time: 20 minutes . Cooking time: 4-8 hours .
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/slow-cooker-beef-randang-with-jasmine-rice/
Copyright ©2021 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.