Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple-Mango Salsa
Choosing a fresh pineapple is a breeze! Look for one with a yellowish-orange lower third—it’s OK for the upper two-thirds to remain green—and no bruises. Here’s my tried and true tip, which I call the Goldilocks test: Pull on the innermost leaf of the crown—if it comes out with barely a tug, the pineapple is likely overripe; if it won’t budge, it’s unripe; if it comes out with a quick, gentle pull, this is the pineapple for you. Keep a less-than-ripe pineapple at room temperature until it’s ready to eat. Once placed in the refrigerator, pineapples will no longer ripen.
- 1½ cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 mango, peeled and diced small
- 1 teaspoon seeded & finely chopped jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound raw medium-size tail-off, peeled and deveined shrimp (if frozen, thaw according to package directions)
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 8 gluten-free taco shells
- 1 large or 2 small heads Romaine lettuce, cut into strips
For the salsa:
In a medium mixing bowl, gently toss all ingredients until well-combined; set aside or cover and refrigerate if making ahead.
For the tacos:
In a large skillet, melt the butter with the red pepper flakes over medium heat. Add shrimp and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until the shrimp become opaque and turn pink, about 2½-3½ minutes, turning the shrimp over halfway through. Turn off the heat and pour the lime juice over the shrimp; set aside. Do not overcook or the shrimp will become tough.
To serve: Dress the taco shells with lettuce, salsa and shrimp.
Note: Store leftover shrimp in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/shrimp-tacos-with-pineapple-mango-salsa/
Copyright ©2020 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.