Shrimp Tacos with Fresh Cilantro and Lime
- FOR THE SHRIMP
- 12 large raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 tablespoon oil of choice (I used avocado oil)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- FOR THE TOPPINGS
- 1½ cups shredded red and white cabbage and carrots (coleslaw mix)
- 3 tablespoons ranch dressing of choice (I like Ken’s brand, which is gluten free)
- Black pepper to taste
- FOR THE ASSEMBLY
- 3 good-quality corn tortillas, grilled over a gas flame or warmed
- 1 ripened avocado, sliced
- 1 small jalapeño, sliced thinly
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, including stems
- Mexican hot sauce of choice (I like Tapatío for this)
- A bit more ranch dressing, if desired
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Start by marinating your shrimp. In a medium bowl, combine all the shrimp ingredients together and stir well to combine. Let marinate for 5 minutes.
While the shrimp are marinating, prepare the coleslaw topping. In a small bowl, combine the shredded cabbage and carrot coleslaw mix with the 3 tablespoons of ranch dressing along with a bit of pepper. Stir well to combine, cover with cling film, and place in the fridge until needed.
Warm a large skillet on medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the shrimp to the pan and cook on medium heat until the shrimp are cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes each side. This won’t take long, so be careful not to overcook them.
Turn off heat and set shrimp aside for assembly.
Warm the corn tortillas, which I prefer to do directly over a medium gas flame by using a pair of tongs and just letting the tortillas get warm and start to bubble, turning over and moving them around for about 15 to 20 seconds each side. If you don’t have a gas stove top, you can just warm them in a hot, un-oiled pan over medium-high heat.
Take the coleslaw mix out of the fridge and prepare to assemble.
To assemble, place the warmed tortillas on a large plate or platter. Place a layer of the coleslaw mixture on the bottom of the tortilla, then top with 4 grilled shrimp per tortilla. Next, top with slices of avocado and jalapeño, followed by a generous sprinkling of fresh cilantro. Drizzle a bit of hot sauce and ranch dressing over top if desired. Serve with lime wedges and enjoy straight away.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/shrimp-tacos-with-fresh-cilantro-and-lime/
Copyright ©2022 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.