Roasted Sweet Potato Fajita and Black Bean Quesadillas
Sweet potatoes and black beans combine in gluten-free quesadillas with a twist.
- [Image]: http://cdn.glutenfreeliving.com/2016/01/Sweet-Potato-Fajita-Black.jpg
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika, divided
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- ½ medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 large gluten-free tortillas
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Gluten-free cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Peel the sweet potato, cut it in half, widthwise, and then cut each half into thin sticks. Place sweet potato pieces on a large cookie sheet and drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil and season with ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¹⁄8 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat and bake until cooked through, turning once, 25-30 minutes.
While sweet potatoes are roasting, heat a large pan over medium heat and coat the bottom with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add the green pepper, red pepper, onion, and ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¹⁄8 teaspoon pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender and beginning to caramelize, 15 minutes.
Heat another large pan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray before adding each tortilla. Place 1 tortilla in the pan and evenly sprinkle with ½ cup of shredded cheese. Top with ¼ of the roasted sweet potatoes and fajita mixture, and 3-4 tablespoons of black beans. Top with another tortilla and cook until cheese is melted and both tortillas are browned, flipping once, for 7 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.
Nutrition analysis: 740 cal, 32 g fat, 60 mg chol, 1650 mg sodium, 79 g carbs, 16 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 30 g protein.
Isadora Lassance lives in Tucson, Arizona, with her husband and their orange cat, Cheeto. She blogs shelikesfood.com, a mostly gluten-free food blog that celebrates whole food and seasonal ingredients.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/roasted-sweet-potato-fajita-and-black-bean-quesadillas/
Copyright ©2021 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.