Roasted Red Pepper Caprese Melts
In this vegetable-packed recipe, mozzarella cheese, roasted red pepper and baby spinach get sandwiched between gluten-free bread or rolls for a delicious lunch.
- 4 teaspoons prepared pesto sauce
- 8 slices of gluten-free bread or 4 gluten-free hamburger buns
- ½ cup prepared roasted red pepper slices, enough to fit on each sandwich
- 4 thick slices of mozzarella cheese, about 4 ounces if using fresh
- 1 heaping cup baby spinach leaves
- Olive oil or butter, if preparing in a skillet
Preheat the oven to 375° F.
To assemble the melt, spread about 1 teaspoon of pesto on the bottom slice of bread. Top with roasted red peppers, mozzarella cheese and a small handful of baby spinach leaves. Put the top piece of bread on and place in the oven until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
Alternatively the melts can be made on the stovetop by heating a skillet over medium heat and adding a small amount of oil or butter. Place the assembled sandwiches in the skillet and cook until cheese is melted and bread is browned, about 3-5 minutes on each side.
Nutrition Analysis: 250 cal, 12 g fat, 20 mg chol, 430 mg sodium, 24 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 9 g protein.
Isadora Lassance lives in Tucson, Arizona, with her husband and their orange cat, Cheeto. A regular contributor to Gluten-Free Living, she also blogs about whole food and seasonal ingredients at shelikesfood.com.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/roasted-red-pepper-caprese-melts/
Copyright ©2019 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.