Pad Thai with Peanut Sauce
Appetizing and full of flavor, Thai food is unique among the cuisines of Southeast Asia. Much of it is naturally gluten free. By the way, the majority of Thai people don’t use chopsticks. Following a 19th century royal decree from a monarch, they employ forks and spoons instead.
- NOODLES & PEANUT SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 4 ounces Pad Thai rice noodles
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon red Thai curry paste
- 1 minced red Thai chili or ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- CHICKEN & GARNISH INGREDIENTS
- 2 tablespoons grape seed or other mild vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root
- ½ cup julienned carrot
- ½ cup julienned zucchini
- 4 ounces chicken breast, thinly sliced
- Mung bean sprouts
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro or julienned basil
- Chopped roasted peanuts
Soak the noodles in warm water for 15 minutes to soften, and drain well. Meanwhile, combine the sesame oil, peanut butter, tamari, curry paste, chili, sugar and vinegar in a small bowl and stir until smooth.
Heat the grape seed oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the carrot, zucchini and chicken, and stir-fry until the chicken is no longer pink, about 2 minutes.
Add the noodles and toss to coat. Stir in half the peanut sauce or to taste. Any leftover will keep refrigerated for 3 days. Stir-fry until the noodles are just al dente, 1-2 minutes, adding a splash of water if the mixture looks too dry. Divide between two plates and garnish with bean sprouts, lime wedges, cilantro and basil, and chopped peanuts.
Nutrition Analysis: 550 cal, 26 g fat, 35 mg chol, 1010 mg sodium, 58 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 20 g protein.
The author of more than a dozen cookbooks to date, Gluten-Free Living Contributing Editor Jackie Mallorca’s titles include The Wheat-Free Cook and Gluten-Free Italian.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/pad-thai-peanut-sauce/
Copyright ©2020 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.