Gluten-Free Steak Street Tacos
Sometimes the best things in life are the simplest things. This recipe? Case in point! Street tacos are incredibly easy to make and have only a few ingredients. This beef version is one of my family’s favorites, so it gets requested often, which, as a busy momma, makes me happy because they are super quick to whip up any night of the week. The filling is also just as delicious wrapped up in lettuce leaves if you’re looking for a tortilla alternative. Simple, delicious and classic! You just can’t go wrong.
– Alex Snodgrass, The Defined Dish
- Alex Snodgrass, The Defined Dish: http://www.thedefineddish.com/thedefineddishcookbook/
- 1½ pounds skirt or flap steak
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely diced white onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Other Ingredients
- 1 head of butter lettuce leaves or 8 grain-free tortilla
- ½ finely diced white onion
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Your favorite hot sauce or salsa (optional)
For the steak: Place the steak on a cutting board and cover it with a sheet of parchment paper. Use a meat mallet to pound the steak 20 to 30 times to tenderize. Discard the paper, then slice the steak into small ¼- inch cubes.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced steak and onion. Spread them into a single even layer and let brown, about 4 minutes. Add the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper and toss to evenly coat. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the steak is cooked through and slightly crisp around the edges, 4 to 5 more minutes.
To assemble: Spoon the beef over the butter lettuce leaves or warm tortillas and serve with the onion, cilantro, lime wedges and hot sauce.
Source URL: https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/recipes/main-dish/gluten-free-steak-street-tacos/
Copyright ©2022 Gluten-Free Living unless otherwise noted.