These easy-to-make gluten-free chicken quesadillas are packed with flavor. Leftover chicken and store-bought guacamole make this a quick recipe for a weeknight meal. If you can’t find gluten-free flour tortillas, use corn.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or put through a garlic press
- ½ cup frozen or fresh corn
- ½ cup pinto beans
- 1 pound leftover cooked chicken breasts, cut into strips or shredded*
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup guacamole, store bought or your favorite recipe
- ½ cup salsa
- 6 gluten-free flour or corn tortillas**
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, for serving, optional
- Sour cream, for serving, optional
- **Corn tortillas tend to be smaller, so the recipe might make more than four quesadillas if you use them.
Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a 10-inch skillet. Add the red bell pepper. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the corn and pinto beans. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to low. Cook until the corn and beans are heated, about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the heat. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Carefully wipe out the skillet and return it to the stovetop.
Divide the pepper-onion mixture, chicken, cheese, guacamole and salsa evenly among the tortillas, placing on one half of each tortilla. Fold the tortilla over and press down firmly. This seals the edges and prevents the filling from falling out.
Lightly grease the skillet. Heat over medium-high heat. Place a tortilla into the hot skillet. Cook until the tortilla is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Using a flexible spatula, flip and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Repeat with remaining quesadillas. Cut quesadillas into wedges. Serve topped with sour cream and green onions, if desired.
*Don’t have leftover chicken and want to make these quesadillas? Here’s a quick recipe.
1 pound chicken breast tenderloins
2 teaspoons olive oil, plus additional for greasing the pan
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine chicken, olive oil, chili powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir to evenly coat the chicken with the oil and spices.
Lightly oil a large nonstick skillet. Heat over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken. Cook until the center reaches 165° F, about 5 minutes. Turn occasionally. Place the chicken on a clean plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Nutrition Analysis: 870 cal, 43 g fat, 140 mg chol, 1110 mg sodium, 69 g carbs, 10 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 50 g protein
Elizabeth Barbone, author of the cookbooks Easy Gluten-Free Baking and How to Cook Gluten-Free, is a regular contributor to Gluten-Free Living. She also blogs at glutenfreebaking.com.